How Should Be Intervention To Patient With Epilepsy Crisis?
There are about 65 million epilepsy patients in the world said Medicana International Ankara Hospital Neurology Specialist Dr. A. Tolga Sönmez. He gave following advice on how to make the first intervention for a patient who has had a crisis.
- First of all, stay calm do not leave the patient, if you need help ask someone else.
- Do not stop the patient’s movements and try not to obstruct the patient.
- Tie or take the patient to a safe place.
- Protect the patient by removing the patient from pointed or hard objects (pointed corners, etc.) that may hurt or by removing them from the patient.
- If the patient has tight clothing, loosen him/her clothes (tie, belt, etc.) and remove the eyewear if she/he wear it.
- Tilt it to one side in a way that is stable and comfortable, and let the patients’ spit run out. If possible, keep the patients’ mouth and respiratory tract open for breathing comfortably.
- Never try to sting or put something in patient’ mouth (for example, if he/she is squeezing teeth or giving water). Mandatory movements related to the jaw are harmful.
- Do not try to give medication during the seizure, do nothing to end of the seizure. Do not have the patient sniff onion or cologne, etc.
- There is no need for artificial respiration or heart massage if someone is known to have epilepsy.
- See if the patient has a card or health card showing that he or she is suffering from epilepsy and/or if so, what you need to do.
- Wait until the seizure finish.
- Remember, often after a seizure, the person is tired and unaware of what he is doing, so be as calm and reassuring as you can at this stage. Barriers can be negative, but you should set a bar against opening the window or walking through the road, etc. gently block movements.
- Keep in mind that all information you can give about the seizure will help both the patient and the doctor.
Mersin City Hospital broke a new ground by implementing the navigation application which delivers the patients to their appointments by thei...
Memorial Antalya Hospital from Neural and Spinal Surgery Department Op. Dr. Cenk Ermol informed about the method of epiduroscopy in the trea...